Planning & Govt. Services
Planning & Government Services (PGS) Division
The Planning & Government Services (PGS) Division's staff assists local governments in a range of programs and services on a local and regional level. These services cover two areas: 1. local and regional planning; and 2. community and economic development. For more detail on PGS programs and services, see the "Services List" section below and left tabs for program and/or project information.
How can local governments request our assistance? Please see sample project request letter.
- Project Specialist position duties.
- Draft Regional Water Plans available for review and comment by May 19, 2017. See here.
- The following document contains descriptions of the
projects awarded funding by the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) in the
four ARC counties within the Northeast Georgia Regional Commission’s geographic
footprint (Barrow, Elbert, Jackson, & Madison). The projects are listed by
both year and county, and include those funded from 2007-2015. See here.
- Appalachian Regional Commission’s (ARC) impact in Georgia profile here.
- MAP-21 is a federally mandated and funded program will involve coordinating with our twelve member counties to collect and verify information about local roads throughout the region. This information will include ownership, operation, number of lanes, surface type, median type, traffic control devices and road names. This program is intended to address challenges across the nation related to increased safety, improved infrastructure condition, decreased traffic congestion, efficiencies in freight movement, protecting the environment and recusing delays in product delivery. The Regional Commission along with GARC, UGA’s Carl Vinson Institute, and the Georgia Department of Transportation are working in partnership on this program and will be contacting each member government in the coming weeks and months to use their knowledge of the local roads for this effort. For more information, please visit https://georgiamap21.org, or contact Eva Kennedy (email@example.com) at the Regional Commission.
- DRAFT Elbert County Comprehensive Plan Update.
Appalachian Regional Commission 5-year Strategic Plan released. Plan here.
- DCA is conducting a study of impediments to fair housing in Georgia. In addition to several community meetings, there is an online survey. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey here.
State Funds Available to Clean Up Scrap Tire Dumps.
Items Under Review
All Comprehensive Plans are available on the Georgia Department of Community Affair's website here.
Local Planning Due Dates
Governments are required to periodically update their local plans in order to retain Qualified Local Government status and remain eligible for various forms of grant funding and permitting. Check your due dates to ensure that your eligibility for state assistance is not interrupted.